The Sobriety Rocks contest has been discontinued due to a loss of federal funding. Click on "Winners" to see previous years' results. If you're interested in underage drinking prevention, check out 1866MustB21.com, the website for KDOT's ongoing statewide underage drinking tipline.
Show your creativity and win one of four $1,000 scholarships
Underage drinking is a serious problem in Kansas, and you can help by expressing yourself in a creative way that encourages people under 21 to say “No.” Your art, writing, music or commercial could inspire others to be safe. If you win, your creativity could mean $1,000 for accredited post-high school education or training, or $1,000 for your school for group entries.
Here are some potential topics to get your creative juices flowing:
- Finding more to life than drinking
- Peer pressure; the need to be liked and fit in
- Problems created or made worse by alcohol
- Why waiting until you’re 21 is smart
Think of your favorite songs, stories, snapshots, art and videos. Many tell a very personal story that resonates with you. It doesn’t have to be something you went through. Put yourself in the place of someone whose life has been negatively affected by alcohol or whose life is better because he/she has avoided alcohol.
Here are some statistics and other pieces of information you might find interesting:
- Alcohol is the drug of choice for Kansas youth.
- There were 456 alcohol-related motor vehicle crashes involving young drivers (ages 15-20) in Kansas in 2010 that took the lives of 23 persons and injured 313 others.
- Youth who drink before the ages of 15 are four times more likely to become dependent on alcohol as adults.
- 96% of adult alcoholics begin drinking before they’re 21.
- 65% of kids who drink get their alcohol from family and friends.
- You don't have to drink to be in the majority. In 2011, only 32% of 8th-12th graders in Kansas reported drinking in the previous 30 days.
Best Original Song (lyrics, music & performance) – individual entry
Best Original Writing (short story, poetry, essay) – individual entry
Best Original Art (graphic design, painting, mixed media, photography) – individual entry
Best Original Commercial (audio and/or visual) – individual (money awarded to individual) or group entry (money awarded to school)
Best Original Song (lyrics, music & performance): $1,000 Scholarship
Best Original Writing (short story, poetry, essay): $1,000 Scholarship
Best Original Art (graphic design, painting, mixed media, photography): $1,000 Scholarship
Scholarships may be applied to any accredited post-high school education or training.
Best Original Commercial (audio and/or visual) – $1,000 Scholarship (money awarded to school in the case of group entry)
Entries will be judged by instructors and professionals in the four categories, KDOT representatives, and professionals and students from Youth Services.Judging will be based on creativity, originality, craftsmanship, clear anti-underage drinking message and passion.
- Scholarship prizes may be awarded in each of four categories: 1) best original song 2) best original writing 3) best original art and 4) best original commercial.
- You may enter as many times as you like in each category, and as many categories as you like, but you MUST fill out a SEPARATE entry form for EACH entry you submit.
- Read the contest rules carefully. Signing the entry form signifies that you have read and agreed to all contest rules.